Thread: pitbull/boxer mixes,what to expect

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Smile

hello all,
    I just adopted a pitbull/boxer mix and was wondering if anyone could tell me what to expect?I've checked up alot on both breeds,but was wondering if anyone with a pitbull/boxer mix could tell me alittle on their little bundle of joy?
    thanks for reading,
    Nyx

Senior Dog Member

My last dog was a pit/boxer mix - and he was one of the sweetest dogs I've ever known. He was extremely loyal - and very easy to train. He would do anything for me, he didn't need treats or toys - he just did it because I asked him to.He was also fairly good sized - he weighed 80# - and there wasn't an ounce of fat on him!

However - you do want to watch their aggressiveness. Because of the pit in them - your dog will have a tendency towards dog aggression. However - if you train them correctly - and socialize them - you can get past the dog aggression.. The downside of their owner loyalty is that they can be a little over protective. Again - this is something you can minimize with training and socializtion.

What age is your dog? You said that you adopted him (or her) - so I'm guessing he/she is already neutered or spayed. Our dog was older (2 1/2) when he was nuetered - so that didn't help his aggressiveness.

All in all - our boxer/pit was a great dog. Even though I only had him for a little over a year - he was the best dog I've ever owned!

Full Member Full Dog Member

I had a pit bull mix once. You really do need to socailize him every chance you get. At the time I had mine, I didn't work outside of the home & my family lived out of state, so I didn't have a whole lot of people around other than my immediate family. I had a garage sale & brought the dog out with me, & you'd have thought she was Cujo! Since they have that protective aggresive instinct, they need to know from the get go that every person is not a threat.

Congratulations on your new addition to your family [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ January 13, 2004, 09:46 AM: Message edited by: LoriAnn ]

I moved in with my boyfriend over a year ago and have become a member of a 3 dog household. Sezz is the baby and is a pitbull/boxer mix. Of all the dogs I have ever met and lived with, he is the most lovable i have ever known. the older dog, the lab, sometimes attracts him into being a little ***** around her and we bleive this is why one day when we came home he was all beaten up. A very sad sight. A muscular handomse dog with a cut on his ear and his tummy with scrath marks, licking his wounds. Not whining, note. And not a scrath on the Lab. All i can say is people who think pitbulls are INHERENTLY bad are wrong. Sezz could easily have ended up the better off in this battle but from our investigations we can only assume that he let her attack him and did not fight back. He doesn't seem to feel pain though which means sometimes when you are playig he will bang his head against your jaw or head and you will be writhing in pain while he looks at you oddly. He will lick you to death beore he will cause any pain. He's playful, happy, loving and a bit clingy. He is cute handsome and the best buddy dog youcould ask for. My boyfirned points out though that he can be a bit jealous but not aggresive. Good luck with yours.

Yes solizization! Mine hates other male dogs and yet he will kiss and snuggle kittens and human babies! LOL
    Amy

Quote Originally Posted by Pitbullsrock View Post
    hello all,
    I just adopted a pitbull/boxer mix and was wondering if anyone could tell me what to expect?I've checked up alot on both breeds,but was wondering if anyone with a pitbull/boxer mix could tell me alittle on their little bundle of joy?
    thanks for reading,
    Nyx
    i have a 10 month old boxer/pitbull and i absolutely love him. he loves to give kissess, and cuddle, very smart, alittle stubborn at times, he is always happy, gets along great with our other dog, a mastif/sheperd. he does have alot of energy, so be ready, he loves to go for walks, we got along board for him to pull us on to drain some of his energy and it is working great! good luck, you will be happy you got one

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    This thread is over five years old. Hopefully the original poster has already found his/her bearings with this dog.
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪