Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: when can i give my puppy solid foods?

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Exclamation when can i give my puppy solid foods?

hi everyone...

i just had my puppy last week... i dont know how young she is... but maybe 1-2 months i guess...can anyone tell when just when can i start feeding her solid foods?? right now, im just feeding her with milk, 3 times a day... she's starting to get so active and im worried maybe she needs to take in some solid foods...

thanks so much....

Loves Karma Senior Dog Member+ rutylr's Avatar
    her breeder should have started them on solid food at about 5 weeks and no one should let a puppy go before 8 weeks.
    You should not be using cows milk
    Use dry food and Goats milk.
    Donna
    SG2,URO1,GRCH,UCI Intl CH Kendall HIC,RN,RL1,AOE-L1,CW-ZR1,CW-SR
    BIS,RBIS,RBIMBS,V,UCI Intl/UKC/CH,URO3, ARCHX Buckwheat RLPX,AOE-P,RE,CW-ZR1,CW-SR,HIC,BN,RL1X,AOE-1,RL2X,AOE-2,CAX,Total dog
    VP3,UCI Intl/UKC/AKC CH, URO1 Darla HIC,CA,Total dog

Beauceron Bliss Senior Dog Member+ rottiegirl's Avatar
    Where did you get her that you arn't sure of the age?

With young puppies there is a differense between 1 month and 2 months!

Like Rottie said NO cow milk!
    If she is as old as you think and is drinking milk you will make her very sick.

If she is 4 weeks or older she should be ready for mostly solid dog food.
    Nothing says "Oops!" like a wall of flame.

At 2 months, she's ready to eat solids.. but if she's only one month old.. she still needs milk. You need to figure out her real age.
    It's a Elle Belly!

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member
    actually, i found an old woman carrying her i figured she'd throw baby paris (dog's name) somewhere. i askd her and got the confirmation so i brought her home. the lady didnt know how old the puppy was and so with her breed. i think its not 1-2 months, my mistake. i think she's about a few weeks coz she has just started to follow colors 2 days ago. thanks so much guys... il follow ur advices... could baby food work too?? well she seems to like the milk im giving her...

Well honey I start my litters of puppies I breed and raise after they open their eyes and can hear me about 16 days old, I start to grind and soak puppy kibble, put milk replacer in it and start them to drink their food kinda it is so sloppy.
    When they get onto being interested in trying I add some canned Iams puppy in it so they start to eat rather than suckle. My pups eat way ahead of most because I spend alot of time getting them to try and work with them. It helps the mommy also. U can buy Espalac at Wal Mart now. Mix with warm water and make the food soft and sloppy if the pup is only a few weeks. She has to be older than 2 weeks if the eyes are open and she can hear you.? If she is 2 months then her teeth are well in and sharp feel for them or look, she can be eating puppy brand of good food soaked not as sloppy as she can chew now with milk teeth. Do NOT give milk from the cow or fridge u drink, this is highly hard on digestion in dogs. Even cats. Get some liquid vitamins and put a raw egg yolk in the food for more protein. Good luck and if u need further help, let us know.

Mommy Status Senior Dog Member+
    actually, i found an old woman carrying her i figured she'd throw baby paris (dog's name) somewhere. i askd her and got the confirmation so i brought her home. the lady didnt know how old the puppy was and so with her breed. i think its not 1-2 months, my mistake. i think she's about a few weeks coz she has just started to follow colors 2 days ago. thanks so much guys... il follow ur advices... could baby food work too?? well she seems to like the milk im giving her...
    I don't really understand what you mean. How long ago did you get the puppy? Were her eyes open? There is a huge difference between 1 and 2 months old and you really need to take her to a vet very soon!
    Don't keep giving her cows milk - even if she likes it. For starters a puppy can't survive on just cows milk. You need to start giving her goats milk or milk replacer, ask your vet about getting some. At first you can give her baby rice cereal with proper milk (goats milk or milk replacer) or some chicken broth mixed with it. Or you can get some very high quality puppy food and mix it with warm water, proper milk or broth until it's soft and start giving her that. You should take her to a vet ASAP though, they can help you more and will have a better idea of her age. Good luck!

Jurvelin's 11 Senior Dog Member+ carrie79's Avatar
    My breeder of the puppy I have started him on "solids" at 3 weeks. It ground meat and buttermilk. She sends me email every week letting me know what to feed and how much to feed. Today I got one that said I should put in 2 table spoons of raw meat along with some kibble and some Pimä (is finnish and is basically sored milk) I have NO IDEA why this is what she tells me to do but in Finland it is very common to have this type of diet for dogs. (Even the humans drink this pimä, dont ask me I cant get even get past the smell) My one concern is if she is as young as you think she is she needs worming! Or your sweet paris could get really sick. I would rush that little one to the vet as quickly as I could! Hope all is healthy and well with your baby!
    He is polite, But the wicked take flight
    When they catch the sight of Zorro.
    Hes friend of the weak, And the poor and the meek, This very unique senor Zorro.

http://carrie.jurvelin.googlepages.com/home

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ^paris^
    I have no idea what this means. I have no idea what you are trying to say. You saw an old woman with a dog, so you just took it from her? Dogs cannot see all colours anyways.

When you got her, were her eyes open? If she cannot eat solids, then she may not be able to regulate her body temperature, or poop by herself. She cannot drink milk though, you can buy puppy formula from a store.
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪

Beauceron Bliss Senior Dog Member+ rottiegirl's Avatar
    I think maybe your first step is to take her to the vet!!!

They will be able to help you determine her age and what to feed her much better than we can, as we can not see her and don't know how old she is from your description.
    Nothing says "Oops!" like a wall of flame.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast