Thread: Grooming Brush for a Shih Tzu

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Grooming Brush for a Shih Tzu

Hello, I'm new hear and I have a question hopefully someone can help me with. I was wondering what the best kind of brush would be to use on a Shih Tzu so that their hair does not get matted. Thanks.

water dogs rock!! Senior Dog Member+ HovawartMom's Avatar
    I would probably use a rake and a metal brush to brush the long hair.

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member
    What about for the undercoat though?

USAFA mom Senior Dog Member+ Bellabianca's Avatar
    A pin brush is nice if you can find one with long, thin thin pins (see the chrissystems website). I would also recommend a metal comb, this is what I use on my maltese. One suggestion, don't comb dry-use a light spray and mats will come out more easily. Also, I don't really know of a grooming tool that prevents mats, persay, just be really regular with the grooming so that you are less likely to get the mats in the first place. Also, be aware of the high-mat-potential areas for your dog-for Binky it is the front "arm" pits. For my golden it is the back leg pants and behind the ears. I use an undercoat rake, a furminator and a soft bristle brush on my golden.

minnie mouse potato Senior Dog Member+ minnie50's Avatar
    #1 All Systems brush is the very best to use on a ShihTzu.

But until 6 mos their baby coat is easy to take care of but after that you must brush every day. This brush has the soft very long wire that will not break the hair. It is made in Germany and a must with a ShihTzu. So many people try using other brushes they are used to but the under coat will mat and they end up having to shave them. You may may want a shorter cut but will not have to shave your dog down if you use this brush.

Get your dog used to laying on it's back so you can get the underside of the coat ( picture it on it's back and you are brushing outward on something flat. At the end of the stroke do not flip it up or you will break the hair. Do that on both sides. Then turn her over and take the hair in sections brushing it out and these long bristles will get to the bottom of the undercoat. Play close attention to behind the ears tail and legs but the leg hair can sometimes be used with a more comfortable brush.

I have one you can have if you like. It's old but hardly ever used. We had two shih tzus for years and then I had a CKCS and then two yorkies. I presently have a 12 1/2 yr old yorkie. I purchased this right before our last shih tzu died because I wore my other one out. All Systems is what all the show people use and they are of excellent quality. pm me with your address if you would like it.
    RIP my angel Crystal
    "Good is not good where better is expected" by Thomas Fuller

RIP my angel Crystal

i use a metal pin brush on my lhasa and then comb hi out ith with a metal comb he is also long coated tis way u dont pull out live hairs like u do with the slicker brushes, also if u just spritz the coat with a bit of water it will help to stop as much brakage when brushing

xxx
    What is the difference between a dog and a fox?

About 5 drinks

Quote Originally Posted by merrow View Post
    i use a metal pin brush on my lhasa and then comb hi out ith with a metal comb he is also long coated tis way u dont pull out live hairs like u do with the slicker brushes, also if u just spritz the coat with a bit of water it will help to stop as much brakage when brushing

xxx
    Yes, this All Systems is a pin brush with very long pins. You gave the best info of all NEVER BRUSH A DRY COAT just a little spritz makes all the difference in the world in keeping it nice. Now remember we are talking breeds with an undercoat for this brush but spritz for all with fur or hair. (yorkies have hair)
    RIP my angel Crystal