Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Louise has Kennel Cough

Got Sheltie? Senior Dog Member+ weezyNollie's Avatar

Unhappy Louise has Kennel Cough

So.. just when you think we're around the bend. Nope.

Louise started coughing about 10 days ago. I pretty much knew that's what it was. I ignored it for about 3 days. Then, her doctor and I decided to put her on antibiotics. She was on Clavamox for 7 days, with no improvement. (Meanwhile, I didn't announce cause it is upsetting, and the situation is too long to explain and drag everyone into it. But, I lost my job due to a poor error. Although, I was the wrong person to be dismissed.) But at any rate, I had to bring Louise to the hospital tonight to see her doctor/my friend. She took a look, palpated her trachea and got a good COUGH. Then they did some chest radiographs to double check she didn't have any pneumonia developing. Nope. Lungs clear.

So her new treatment protocol is Doxycycline and Hydrocodone. Her doctor mentioned that sometimes these Kennel Cough/Bordetella cases are resistant to Clavamox. So we're trying another antibiotic.

Ugh. LOUISE!!!!!

So now this is her regimen for the next 10 days:

AM:
    Doxycyline 2 tabs
    Hydrocodone 1 tab

PM:
    Doxycyline 2 tabs
    Hydrocodone 1 tab
    Prednisone 1 tab
    DermCaps 2 caps
    Tylan Powder 1/8 tsp on food

I just hope this clears it up. Poor thing, she's been coughing and gagging for awhile. Has to be sick of that. And I hope this doesn't progress to pneumonia, I can only imagine if we had to hospitalize her what it would cost me now.
    The Herding Herd.
    Brooke, Weezy, Ollie, and Ralphie

www.coloradoanimalrescue.org

Pom Mom Senior Dog Member+ Deb's Tiny Dogs's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Oh, poor dear. I hope she gets better soon. Whoever let you go is nuts!!
    Their loss I say. Just go out and find something even better! You MUST stay in this field. You're too knowledgeable and talented not to!
    Forever my boys, Bogey and Miko. All my love till we meet again.

Crazy Like My Boxers Senior Dog Member+ BratBoxers's Avatar
    Sorry to hear this! Antibiotics do nothing for kennel cough....Why not try something more holistic like Tincture of black leaf & or Oxy drops? I just don't understand all these antibiotics. I have had kennel cough in my house a few times only ever treated with the above and some VitC.
    Bratcher's Kentucky Sunrise, CGC
    RagTyme Bratcher's Box office hit

Sorry to hear this happened to poor Louise! Hope she is on the mend soon!!
    HASTA LA VIZSLA, BABY!!
    Dash Jan 28/05-Oct 08/10

Blog Entries
    I am sorry to hear about Louise. Fortunately you have her on the best medicine for her condition.

About your job, I believe everything happens for a reason. There is a better job waiting for you.
    Life is short, play with your dog!

Heartcore Senior Dog Member+ AtomicSkies's Avatar
    oh weezy...poor girl i hope she is feeling better soon...so sorry to hear about your job it stinks to loose a job but to loose it for the wrong reasons is worse...good luck with everything
    "Life beats us down and crushes the soul...Art reminds us we have one"-unknown...see you later space cowboy...
    I love my mutts but ill never make more...spay and neuter your pets...marriage=♥+♥
    "I want all of you head to toe...heart to soul"-Kurt Halsey

Got Sheltie? Senior Dog Member+ weezyNollie's Avatar
    Thanks everyone for words about the job. Several of the doctor staff are furious about the decision. I was one of their best employees -- I won the golden femur (employee of the month) last summer, i got a 10% raise while my coworkers got 2-4%! I had never been written up for anything. This was a serious judgement error on their part. They may be beginning to learn this.

But for bigger and better things -- I am enrolled and registered for classes to pursuit my career/education. I ideally want to make it to vet school. And I applied for a PT tech job at another "animal health center" and I have an interview for Friday Wish me luck.

As for Louise -- I agree about the antibiotics, but at the same time. I don't have much of a choice to mess around with her. With her Addisons, she must have a lower immune system. I want to do something to prevent it from getting worse! I know Bordetella is more or less a virus, but it's not goign on it's own. And I don't want to even give it a SMALL chance to worsen or become pneumonia.

But.. keeping fingers crossed she'll get better soon.

EDIT: LMAO! I gave Louise her cough suppressant (Hydrocodone) which is also Hycodan. So basically an opiate. Anyway, last night I gave it to her and went to bed. But this morning, I gave it to her again.. she is pretty out of it. It's a slightly higher dose than she needs, but she needs like 4mg, and it's a 5mg tablet! She seems sleepy. Lucky Louise
    Last edited by weezyNollie; 12-13-2007 at 10:02 AM.
    The Herding Herd.
    Brooke, Weezy, Ollie, and Ralphie

www.coloradoanimalrescue.org

Worriaholic Senior Dog Member+ BabyElephant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It never stops does it? I wondered how you treat kennel cough. I hope that she begins to feel better real soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by micki View Post
    Lipsticks are lost everyday but love is forever

I'm so sorry your pup is not feeling well. Hopefully the med treatment will knock the infection out and she'll be on the mend soon.
    I'm also sorry about your job. I got demoted in my job in Sept. also due to an error-so I know how you are feeling. Look at it as another door that will be opened to you, and something good will come of it. Hugs and prayers for only good things for both you and your pup. Kathy and Maia

Good luck in furthering your education....your goal of becoming a Vet will happen!!
    HASTA LA VIZSLA, BABY!!
    Dash Jan 28/05-Oct 08/10

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast