Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you give dogs sleeping pills?

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Can you give dogs sleeping pills?

We have an Aussie Shepherd that is scared to death of any kind of firework. Can I give her human sleeping pills? If so, what are the best ones to use and the dosage? She is about 70 pounds.

lionellover@verizon.net

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't think human sedatives are advised for dogs. Definitely speak to your vet.

Although this Monday, I would reccomend keeping her safe at home with some white noise.
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪

Full Member Full Dog Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo
    I don't think human sedatives are advised for dogs. Definitely speak to your vet.

Although this Monday, I would reccomend keeping her safe at home with some white noise.
    I agree with you 100%!

If you must, there is a pill that I get for my Sheltie from the vet that I get about a week before the 4th of July - Amatriptaline 10mg b.i.d.

I get it a week before so that it works by the 4th. He used to take the pills daily because he has seperation anxiety, but now I just try to be proactive about things that I know shake him up like the people who live near me and their need to blow the **** out of things on the 4th. BUT PLEASE don't give your pooch ANY sleeping pills.
    "A dog is just a kid with fur"

http://www.dogster.com/?165462

Pom Mom Senior Dog Member+ Deb's Tiny Dogs's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yes, I agree - no human sleeping pills! Put the volume up on the tv or radio. I always stay home with my poodle, bogey, on the 4th because of this. I don't make a big deal about it (I try not to coddle him to death, but...), but I know it helps that I'm there. Do you have any DOG medicine for motion sickness? This often makes them tired. But, you need to talk to a vet.
    Forever my boys, Bogey and Miko. All my love till we meet again.

Labified Senior Dog Member+ GretaJack's Avatar
    Benadryl can be okay to give to your dog and it should make him sleepy, take the edge off. But do NOT give him a human sedative! Talk to your vet at your next appointment about what can be given to him in the future. My co-worker puts her dog on a well known human prescription medication this time of the year to take the edge off, but that is at the advice of our vet. And the vet approves the prescription at every issuance for this dog.
    See Jacob grow http://katiejmcnamara.blogspot.com

Missed Greatly, Forever Remembered. In memory of my lost ones; Moby (9/13/03), Carbon (09/13/03), Tanner (10/16/05), Aries (07/31/07) and Millie (09/25/07).

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member
    We've had her to the vet before and they put her on one of the mentioned approved puppy sedatives (btw-Amatriptaline is a human sedative). However, it didn't do anything. Our family is living on a severely fixed income right now and the vets in our area won't issue medication without a full workup ($75-$150 not including the price of the medication). She was just in for her shots in March but they still won't give us pills without a complete physical. We were just trying to find something we could do for her to make it easier on her. We are home with her but she gets so anxious and pants like she's just run a marathon. I'm just a mommy that wants to make sure her baby is as taken care of as she can be. Thank you for your input.

Full Member Full Dog Member
    Quote Originally Posted by qpsdoll
    (btw-Amatriptaline is a human sedative).
    I know it is, but I do have a script for this from my vet for Tucker.
    "A dog is just a kid with fur"

http://www.dogster.com/?165462

Gotta love bunnays. Senior Dog Member+ *chihuahuagirl*'s Avatar
    At the vet theres something called like an ace. It should make your dog very sleepy and dizy. When you give them these they can really walk well and cant bark very well eather.
    "Everyday I want to try something I have never tried, go somewhere I have never gone, create something I could only dream of, and learn something I never knew." -Audrey Kitching

Full Member Full Dog Member Thrills's Avatar
    There is a seditive called Atravet...available from your vet, if you call your vet and describe what it's for, you shouldn't need to make an appointment, but they'll only give you enough for the day. Won't knowck you dog out completely, and be prpared to clean up a lot of drool.

Labified Senior Dog Member+ GretaJack's Avatar
    Also, try to desensitize her throughout the rest of the year. Leave her in the house with her favorite toy or a brand new bone and go outside and fire a toy cap gun. If she runs and hides, fine, take the toy or bone away and try again later. The next step would be for her to either take the treat with her to hide (which is a step forward because she is thinking of something other the noise) or be torn whether to leave the treat to hide or stay where she is. Continue at this distance from the house until she stays put. And then slowly move closer and closer. Whipper Snappers (the kind of fireworks that you throw on the ground and pop are also great for this. Slowly she should start to relax a bit. Now the key to this is to have a treat that she really loves. Maybe a rawhide, pig ear, soup bone, squeaky, etc. And take it away everytime she hides so she doesn't have access to it when she finally comes out. You want it to be a special treat for her.

This process could take months so patience is definitely in order. But it can be done. And I am not saying that she is going to love fireworks by the time that you are done but she should be a bit more tolerable by next year.
    See Jacob grow http://katiejmcnamara.blogspot.com

Missed Greatly, Forever Remembered. In memory of my lost ones; Moby (9/13/03), Carbon (09/13/03), Tanner (10/16/05), Aries (07/31/07) and Millie (09/25/07).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast