Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breeds with rear dew claws?

^Corgwn Madness^ Senior Dog Member+

Breeds with rear dew claws?

Got chit-chatting again at the show about this, still haven't looked it up yet but someone made a comment about all herding breeds from France have them, but I'm actually not sure about Pyr sheps? I also know (didn't think about it at the time, dang) Berger Picards don't sport them either. But, I keep thinking, there are so many breeds I've seen over the past few years who actually can be born with them that have them taken off usually so you don't really know, till you have one. I most recently was reading a forum for Border Collies and the topic came up, and come to find out many BC's can not just have them, but some breeders seem to find it best to leave them on when they are fully jointed and think it might even give them some sort of advantage, which does kinda correspond to some other places where I've read people who have had those removed had more leg problems with their sport/working dogs after removal.

Well, enough of that, just getting down to the breeds, the ones you know for sure, who can have them? I'll start a list:

Some who can have doubles
    Beauceron, Briard, Great Pyrenees, Icelandic sheepdog, Rottweiler, Malamute, Siberian husky

Some who can have singles
    Pembroke and Cardigan Welsh Corgi's, Doberman (one in our obedience class)

I think GSDs can have rear dews. NEVER heard of Sibes having them, though. Not purebred anyway. There are many people crossing Sibes and GSDs for one of those superbreeds, though.

I've seen a rottie and GSD mix with rear dews. He just looks like a big red dog, like Jazzmonster. Would never guess the cross.

My roommate had a GSD and Sibe cross with double dews in front, and back dews too. she looked like she might have a bit of collie and/or rottie in her too.

I've seen lots of mixes with them, actually. But then again, I work on the shelter scene.
    Liz and Zander

Tally Ho! Senior Dog Moderator RoughCollies's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Not really sure about who has and doesn't have them but I do know that some Whippet people are no longer removing front dews because they think it gives them an advantage as well. I don't know. Most people disagree with that still. We take ours off.
    Glitch - Shannon Down Wreck it Ralph
    Spencer Sprout Dixie

Sugar Rush Whippets

B
    Muggs is a mix but whatever he's mixed with did have them. Either the Bullmastiff or American bulldog. We had his rear dew claws removed as a pup and one has come back and grows upside down. Here's a cpl of picts to show. It doesn't seem to bother him since it grows up versus down. I try to keep it short but been slacking the last few weeks. They both are due for a dremel job but you can see the upside dew in these picts.

Full Member Full Dog Member
    I think you'd find a lot of breeds with them. It's the ones who's standards call for them will be the question.

I know recently at work we took off rear dew claws on a litter of yorkies and labradoodles. My mutt Kiko had them.

I miss you Denali Senior Dog Member+ Dignity's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Of course - you already said Pyrs have Double Dews - but here ya go:
    Beauty without Vanity; Strength without Insolence; Courage without Ferocity; and all the virtues of Man without his Vices. -- Lord Byron "Epitaph to a Dog"
    ♥ Bone Cancer Awareness ♥ RIP Denali ♥

My sheltie has back dewclaws and a double on one foot! I don't know if it's common in the breed, though. He isn't from show lines. His parents are working sheep herders.

My Border Collie, Rhett, has back dews. Leo doesnt, but I dont know if he was born without or if they where removed. (Both are from working ABCA lines.)
    Im Abi, the VERY PROUD FurMommi to:Rhett & Caoimhe, Dixi, Leo, Brody, Ducki and Pidgin.
    All raw fed!

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think most breeds can have back dews.

We have a lot of the dogs that we have as clients have back dews. Many are of the generic pet dog variety (a mix or two or more of: Chihuahua, Dachshund, Shih Tzu, Poodle, Bichon, Yorkie, Pom)

I have definitely seen them on purebred: Rotties, Labs, Shih Tzus, Chihuahuas, Pomeranian, Chows, Japanese Chin, Springer, GSD, English Mastiff, Shelties, Goldens... And probably loads more, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head. It's generally memorable when it's over-grown and stuck in the dog, and it's practically surgery to cut it.

I personally can't stand dew claws. Mielle has front dews and I hate them. I know that Kirby had fronts that were removed, I don't know if Holly ever had any.
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪

Did you say...bacon? Senior Dog Member+ OwnedByBCs's Avatar
    Riot was born with rear dew claws but I had them removed as I have all dewclaws removed (just don't tell the other BC people, they hate me for it!). When I was young I had a dog rip a dewclaw and bleed all over me and the car on the way to the vet and it was such a traumatic experience for her I just won't leave them on anymore. Fiona has her front dew claws and they drive me NUTS!

Oddly enough, Riot is from mostly show lines with some scattered ISDS working lines in the pedigree. But, apparently her sire throws them? He also happens to produce great working dogs, but thats most likely a coincidence
    Passion is 90% Insanity, and 10% Addiction.
    www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
    www.serendipitygraphics.webs.com
    KEEP YOUR LAWS OFF MY PAWS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast